Thursday, April 14, 2005

The icy grip of central air conditioning

Yes, I know I live in southeast TX, and yes, I know it doesn't get cold here. My issue however is that knowing these things to be true, I have still been waking up FREEZING for the past few mornings. This is not due to the weather. Well, at least not the weather being cold...it's actually because the weather is warm. One of our roommates has to have it super cold to sleep comfortably and even though we have the vents shut in our room, me and Darbi still receive a good bit of that chill central air and wake up miserable once we get out from under the covers.

Don't get me wrong, A/C does feel good at times. I however only need about 2 or three minutes of it until I am cool and then I start getting really cold. I don't like being cold. It's painful. Being a little skinny guy with no body fat, I exude heat but have no insulation to keep it in. So I can keep others warm, but just not myself.

Now if you put me in the sun, I can stay out there all day and sweat...I may complain, that's almost a guarantee. But it's not really heartfelt complaining; more like repeatedly commenting about how hot it is. When I complain about the cold however, I mean it. I've been in several conversations about why cold is better then hot because you can always put something more on to stay warm, but can only take off so much. I can't remember if I've mentioned this before, but all my friends know it -- I don't particularly like wearing clothes. The main reasons I cover up is a) public nudity is pretty much against the law, and b) courtesy. I know many people who don't necessarily want to see me naked. That's just not their thing, and that's cool. As much as I hate being cold, I've even been out in the snow naked. Not for very long mind you; just long enough to go out and either put the dog out on the tether, or to un hook her and let her back in the house. This was up in NY around Nov/Dec. Just a little chilly *lol* Clothing is just not really my thing.

Talking with my girlfriend Darbi the other day, she brought up a good point to counter the advocates for the cold. Although yes you can always put more clothes on to stay warm, you will have to eventually take them off. Unless you want to sleep in them and bathe in them. There will have to be a time when you are either naked, or nearly so. As for being to hot and only being able to take off so much, there are light and breezy clothes out there that keep you decently covered and at the same time allow you to be somewhat unclothed. My personal favourite is a sarong. Loose fitting, allows for plenty of air flow, easy to take off, and easy to grab and cover up when necessary. All this reminds me...I need to do something to tottaly block of the vents and hopefully keep that evil chill out. Whe you love heat and taking HOT showers, it's not fun at all to have to get out of your hot steamy shower, all wet and dripping into the icy air or your room.

Well we all have to deal with things at times. Such is life. I'm off to deal with this vent issue while I remember. Talk at everyone later. Take it easy, and be safe.

--Chris

2 comments:

Darbi said...

You know, my immense wisdom on these subjects must be why you lo- I mean why you like me so much! ;-) heeheehee...

As far as whether or not people realize your disdain for being in a clothed state...come on, you're always calling yourself Nekid something - tater, monkey...I think they'll figure it out! Haha!

Still waiting to hear from my boss but hopefully tomorrow morning I'll be off work and we'll be able to snuggle in bed until the temperature is tolerable enough to venture out into the world.

The Merry Widow said...

Just drink some tequila. That'll warm you right up. :)