Friday, April 08, 2005

Ah, sweet summertime...or at least close enough for me.

As written in my notebook around 12:45 pm this fine Friday afternoon:

So, it's lunchtime and I'm laying out in the grass at school in the middle of campus. I have plenty of green grass, a decent view of everyone that walks be, and a nice breeze every now and again. One problem: I'm sweating my balls off. Or just about. The sun is blazing down on me here in my black shirt, and not-so-thin short pants(which totally rock in my opinion). Why don't I just move over to a shay area? Not after 30 minutes? One hour? Because I'm a glutton for punishment. I do stuff like this quite often. I self punishment was a sport (and I'm not talking masochistic level) I'd be champion. Or at least a close third.

Maybe, just maybe, it's to prove to myself that I can take it. That I can handle what nature is dealing me and not fold to the dealer. I complain left and right, but I still LOVE it. I much rather prefer this to cold, or even to chilliness for any extended length of endurement. I don't even need to take 10 steps and I could be relaxing in the cool shade with the same green grass, the same hottie-scoping view, and the same cool breeze. Maybe it is a slight twisted form of masochism. Subjecting myself to this hour long roasting and smiling the whole time. Same thing goes for little bits of electricity too...woo ! But that's a whole other story for another time. I've actually got a few "shocking" stories...mmmmm....amperage...

Rarely, if ever, do I subject myself to there blissful miseries for attention or for public/social approval or acceptance. I'm not saying it's never happened for those reasons, but it'd be a rare occasion.

So my question for you. . .What blissful miseries do you subject yourself to? Roasting unnecessarily in the sun? Feeling the steady, secure squeeze of a corset or bodice? Bare feet on a steaming sidewalk? Repeated heartache for repeated reasons? Stiff drinks with their stinging burn in our throats?

What pain do you crave and endure just for the simple pleasure of a tolerable pain?

Crispity crunchy,
Chris

1 comment:

Darbi said...

I've been pondering for days how to answer this question...

Of course the first answer that comes to mind is just "all of the above". I do so many things just because I like the way they hurt. Always have - even since I was very young. I used to yank on my loose teeth - that's probably the first thing i remember doing.

As far as things now...
Whiskey burn
Scalding showers
Laying out in the hot sun
other *stuff* which you know :-D
and then of course there's being your girlfriend! :-D hahahaha

Why do I subject myself to these atrocities? I guess they just hurt really really good...