Friday, August 28, 2009

Dying music

Sad news about the roadside piano. Hopes of possibly getting it home and restoring are dashed to pieces, because the piano itself was dashed to pieces. The day after I stopped to take photos and admire this piece of beauty, I went to retake some shots (I foolishly neglected to remove a big plastic cup from a few shots).

Driving up I noticed the piano wasn't there, and thought someone had beat me to the punch and taken it already. As I got closer I saw pieces of the old upright spread about. The hamer assembly over here, the keyboard there, and the soundboard (string-loom as I call it) was just laying there face up to the elements. Pieces of darkly stained wood that used to be the body lay broken and strewn about the area.

I took my pictures and went home, a little sad.

After showing Darbi the photos I had taken, she urged to go grab the pieces stamped with the maker and date. I found a friend with a trailer and brought the whole soundboard, keyboard, and what was left of the hammer assembly. All sitting in my driveway.
Hmmm...now to find what to do with it all......


2 comments:

Court Jester said...

All it needed was some "crime scene" tape and it would have been perfect. What a horrible scene. I just don't understand destructive people. Poor crapy piano, it didn't deserve to die in that way.

You realize this is now a three part story, having only two parts. So, you're obliged to tell about what you do with all the Humpty Dumpty parts of this wrecked piano you actually took home. lol Good luck!

Anonymous said...

The artistic possibilities are endless!