Sunday, May 15, 2011

Whatta weekend!

Friday: 


After work, after a shower, and after some food, I threw on a good shirt, snazzy vest, my tux pants (still fit from high school), and my heels. I packed my camera and went to my church. Two fantastic and hardworking gals there had organized and set up a fabulous alternative prom for local students that were unable to attend their school's prom due to their sexual preference.  One local school expressly banned gay, lesbian, or bi students from attending.  Our attendance was over 100 teens. The comments expressed by both the kids at attending the prom, the parents as they picked up their children and their dates, as well the coordinators and chaperones could not have made those at our church feel any better for helping such a great event take place. And it was all cleaned up and ready for service again by midnight.....excepting of course for a bit of glitter and residual confetti as a reminder of the nights festivities.


Saturday:


Slept in. It may not seem like a big deal, but I haven't been able to sleep in all semester. Silly 8am classes. But the semester is over, and I've completed all the classes I need for my Web Design degree. After a tasty breakfast, and a little bit of waking up slowly, the rest of the day was spent lounging about and reveling in the good feelings.  In the evening, D and I went to a quiet little singer/songwriter performance. Again the venue was at our church. a few hours of music, and for new CDs later, we headed up to Conroe and spent the evening in a hot tub with with a couple of friends of ours. A good soak in some hot water, along with a few beers, and good friends. All the way til 3am.  Needless to say, waking up for Sunday was a little rough.


Sunday:


This Sunday was our Teen Service!  The teens of our church get together once a year, and take over the service.  The music, the children's story and the sermon. Every year they perform their duties beautifully with the twist of humour they give every year.  This year they talked of the struggles of being one's self versus the pressure to fit in. The sermon was titled "Waterskiing to the Beat of Your Own Accordian."  While D went on a little trip with a friend, I stayed home and enjoyed some good food from Freebirds and a few movies on Netflix.




And now:  D is home, my cup of hot tea is empty, and my lids are starting to get heavy.  Time for what I hope is a good night sleep.  Hope everyone made it through their weekend safely and had a good time. Talk at ya'll next time!

2 comments:

Al_Simm said...

I wanna follow you... how do i do that?

Monkey Boy said...

After you sign in, there should be a bar at the top with a link to Follow.