Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Lost and Found



So I went for a bike ride the other day with almost no obligation to back at any certain time. Took of into the woods with a bike, a bedroll, a camera, and little else. No worries or responsibility.

Very nice :)

So I wandered down some 4-wheeler tracks that narrowed into a walking trail which decreased more to a wildlife path and then disappeared altogether. By this time I had been wandering for nearly 2 hours or so. At this point I was not very far from where I had begun the trip, although I only found this out later.

As the sun set and the light faded I was still neck deep in woods, and although I was prepared to sleep out there, I was not eager to do so. No paths around and surrounded by woods, I heard the music of an ice-cream truck across the creek....and saw some 4-wheeler tracks in the sand on the beach opposite of my side of the creek. Not knowing how deep the water was, nor what state the creek bottom was in (mud, trash, or whatnot) and very few trees fallen completely across, getting to the other side would be interesting. I did find a tree (see above, middle photo) and proceded to walk my bike across, carefully, my feet between the tires as I inched along beside the bicycle.

On the other side, I know had tracks to follow again, however, I had no clue which direction. Hoping for the best, in the woods of fading light, I headed, with hope, out towards a paved road again. With minimal backtracking and "oopsies" I made it past and oil derrick, storage tanks, and found a gate, outside of which was road with blacktop! Woot!

Climbed over the fence and traveled, what google says is almost 2 miles, to the street sign in the above-last photo . *sigh* I was way off from where I hoped I'd be. **double sigh** Onto the bike and down the road I go......

All around google says I traveled just under 20 miles, although I've my doubts on the accuracy of a couple of parts. But after 2 hours of woods, and 2 hours of road, I arrived at a friend's house worn out and dirty. One shower later, I felt cleaner but still worn out.

Totally awesomely worn out. Death in the woods was unlikely, and I was fairly confident I would survive the roads and traffic, but after that much time and distance and not knowing where I was for the most part, it felt really good to be alive. Safe in the knowledge that I was alive to hurt so badly, and feel so good about it.

Below is a map with an approximate path of my trip marked in.

Any time anyone wants to be a little insane on a hike/bike ride, let me know. Alive is a good feeling.

Chris J


Posted by Picasa

No comments: